Interim Pastor Description

Open discussion on general Baptist-related topics of interest to Baptists around the world.

Moderator: Dave Roberts

Interim Pastor Description

Postby John » Wed May 03, 2006 9:02 am

Following is a postion description a church is looking to fill with an Interim Pastor. Thoughts?

Whatever Baptist Church
Position Description – Interim Pastor

Purpose:
Responsible to the church to proclaim the gospel of Jesus Christ, to teach the biblical revelation, to engaged in pastoral care ministries, to provide administrative leadership in all areas of church life, and to act as the chief administrator of the paid staff. Provide leadership of the congregation into a deeper more meaningful relationship with Jesus Christ.

Qualifications:
- Born again and have a personal testimony of his personal
conversion and commitment to Jesus Christ as Lord and
Savior.
- Align with the Southern Baptist Doctrines of Faith.
- Committed to integrity and accountability to those he serves.
- Biblical qualifications for an elder (1 Timothy 3; Titus 1; 1Peter
5:1-4)
- Have a clear and open calling to serve the Lord in Pastoral
Ministry.
- A man who can rightly divide the Word of God, II Timothy
2:15.
- Theological perspective that is conservative, strongly grace-
oriented and adherent to the inerrancy of the whole Word of
God.
- Public speaking ability (effective communicator).
- Ability to submit to and implement policies of the Church Body.
- Strong leadership gift, skills and abilities.

Responsibilities:

1. Plan and conduct the worship services; prepare and deliver
sermons; lead in observance of ordinances of Baptism and the
Lord’s Supper.

2. Lead the church in an effective program of witnessing to the
lost and in a caring ministry for persons in the church and
community.

3. Keep in strict confidence any information of a personal nature
about individuals and circumstances.

4. Visit church members, prospective church members and the
infirmed.

5. Conduct spiritual and scriptural counseling sessions as
necessary under proper circumstances that does not allow an
opportunity to impugn character. NOTE: No counseling
other than spiritual and scriptural may be given.

6. Perform wedding ceremonies following specific and significant
premarital counseling and conduct funerals.

7. Serve as chairman of the Church Council to lead in planning,
organizing, directing, coordinating, and evaluating the total
church program.

8. Work with deacons, church officers and committees as they
perform their assigned responsibilities.

9. Act as moderator of church business meetings in accordance
with Robert’s Rules of Order.

10. Cooperate with associational, state, and denominational
leaders in matters of mutual interest and concern, while
keeping the church informed of denominational development
and represent the church in civic matters.

11. Serve as chief administrator of the paid church staff;
supervise the work of assigned paid staff workers and
recommend needs for staff including hiring, discipline and
salaries.

12. Have a vision for Whatever Baptist Church.

13. Other duties that may be assigned as needs arise.

Personal Growth and Renewal:

1. The Pastor is responsible to commit significant time to
renewal, reading and research for personal and organizational
health. This includes scheduling time for renewal, study, long-
range planning and prayer.

2. The Pastor may attend educational and professional
conferences that enable him to better perform his
responsibilities.
John

Postby Billy » Wed May 03, 2006 9:12 am

I like it...very reasonable.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are... I'm from the government and I'm here to help." Ronald Reagan
Billy

Postby Grump » Wed May 03, 2006 9:51 am

Tell us where, I have the resume of a brother in Christ I would like to send.
Grump

Postby John » Wed May 03, 2006 9:55 am

Please understand this is an INTERIM position that is being sought, with the spoken addition that said position should include at least 20 hrs a week of time spent in the performance thereof.
John

Postby Hal Eaton » Wed May 03, 2006 9:57 am

The requirements sound like the plan is to offer a temporary position to an "interim;" if he/she proves worthy, permanence is possible.

Note # 1: He/she is cancelled by the phrase, "a man who can rightly divide the word of God . . ."

Note # 2: Jesus is currently unavailable.

Note # 3: Any bl.com folks submitting a resume?

Note # 4: No mention of salary range.

Note # 5: No mention of age/education/experience requirements, yet always broached early-on in interviews.
Hal Eaton

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed May 03, 2006 10:02 am

John wrote:Please understand this is an INTERIM position that is being sought, with the spoken addition that said position should include at least 20 hrs a week of time spent in the performance thereof.

DAVE: The expectations are obviously higher and more rigidly defined than most pastoral job descriptions I have seen. If this is an interim, what would they expect of a pastor--90 hours of work per week?
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby Sandy » Wed May 03, 2006 10:14 am

Just one question.

What are the "Southern Baptist Doctrines of Faith?" BFM1963? BFM2000? Neither of these are necessarily "Southern Baptist Doctrines of Faith. Southern Seminary's Articles of Faith? Or is this particular church requiring their interim pastor to align with every single Southern Baptist doctrine of faith?
Sandy

Postby William Thornton » Wed May 03, 2006 10:18 am

Why is there no mention or description of the things that ought logically to pertain to the "interim" nature of the position?

What's going on with: "5. Conduct spiritual and scriptural counseling sessions as necessary under proper circumstances that does not allow an
other than spiritual and scriptural may be given.
" ?
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Grump » Wed May 03, 2006 10:22 am

John wrote:Please understand this is an INTERIM position that is being sought, with the spoken addition that said position should include at least 20 hrs a week of time spent in the performance thereof.

I understand this. I still have a name of a great Christian brother I would like to send, or at least let him check it out.

If you don't we want to share the name on line, pleae send it to my e-mail:

mailto:grumpiegrumpy@yahoo.com
Grump

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed May 03, 2006 10:26 am

Dave Roberts wrote:

DAVE: The expectations are obviously higher and more rigidly defined than most pastoral job descriptions I have seen. If this is an interim, what would they expect of a pastor--90 hours of work per week?

Ed: Dave, I was wondering how a person taking this positon could handle it in 20 hours per week. But your comment seems to indicate that you would expect less responciblity in an interim than in a "settled pastorate', to use a term I have learned in the ABC. While this thought seems not to be uncommon I would suggest you may be talking about an interim Preacher who will do some pastoral duties. IMHO, if an interim pastor is involved in preparing a congregation for the arival of a full time pastor I would suggest that with all other thing being equal he or she will need to spend more time on the job than a settled pastor will.

There are several items in the posted discription that are turnoff as far as I am concerned. Being a Southern Baptist church I would hope they have a DOM who could help. :)
Last edited by Ed Pettibone on Wed May 03, 2006 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Wade » Wed May 03, 2006 10:35 am

It's a bird, it's a plane, NO it's SUPER-PASTOR. That is who they are looking skywardly, heavenly for. They need someone to "Walk the Line".
"how's it going Hiroshi, keep going, that sand is not going to rake itself"-- from THANK YOU FOR SMOKING
Wade

Postby rickwright01 » Wed May 03, 2006 10:46 am

Wade wrote:It's a bird, it's a plane, NO it's SUPER-PASTOR. That is who they are looking skywardly, heavenly for. They need someone to "Walk the Line".

That was my reaction. Don't wanna get into the ideological/theological stuff here, that's their prerogative. Just "dang! this is an interim position?!?"
Resist Creon.
"It is now considered patriotic to celebrate our own evisceration." (Gary Graham at Bighollywood.Breitbart.Com)
rickwright01

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed May 03, 2006 10:53 am

rickwright01 wrote:
Wade wrote:It's a bird, it's a plane, NO it's SUPER-PASTOR. That is who they are looking skywardly, heavenly for. They need someone to "Walk the Line".

That was my reaction. Don't wanna get into the ideological/theological stuff here, that's their prerogative. Just "dang! this is an interim position?!?"

Ed: And Rick Just a I queried Dave Roberts two post back what does being an interim mean to you?
Ed Pettibone

Postby Norm » Wed May 03, 2006 10:59 am

John, why is the position an interim position?
Norm

Postby Michael » Wed May 03, 2006 11:03 am

Sounds like they got the job descripion for the new full timer mixed up. Way too much for an interim situation. Any "seasonsed" interim would the church know his (sorry, in this case no "her" allowed) limits based on his other commitments.

Interim work is a very specilized kind of ministry. A pastor in my association is "retiring" from full time pastorate after many years. He's moving to a metro area to be near his daughter and grandkids. And, he's going to be avaialbe as an intentional interm pastor in his retirement. He's a great one for this calling.
Michael
"Is this heaven?"
"No, it's Iowa."
"Iowa? I could have sworn this was heaven."
Michael

Postby John » Wed May 03, 2006 11:20 am

DAVE

The expectations are obviously higher and more rigidly defined than most pastoral job descriptions I have seen. If this is an interim, what would they expect of a pastor--90 hours of work per week?

Great Question !

Sandy

What are the "Southern Baptist Doctrines of Faith?" BFM1963? BFM2000? Neither of these are necessarily "Southern Baptist Doctrines of Faith. Southern Seminary's Articles of Faith? Or is this particular church requiring their interim pastor to align with every single Southern Baptist doctrine of faith?

Guess you could flip a coin?

William

Why is there no mention or description of the things that ought logically to pertain to the "interim" nature of the position?

Which would be . . . ?

William

What's going on with: "5. Conduct spiritual and scriptural counseling sessions as necessary under proper circumstances that does not allow an
other than spiritual and scriptural may be given." ?

That’s another good question

Ed:

Dave, I was wondering how a person taking this positon could handle it in 20 hours per week. But your comment seems to indicate that you would expect less responciblity in an interim than in a "settled pastorate', to use a term I have learned in the ABC. While this thought seems not to be uncommon I would suggest you may be talking about an intrim Preacher who will do some pastoral duties. IMHO, if an intrim pastor is involved in preparing a congregation for the arival of a full time pastor I would suggest that with all other thing being equal he or she will need to spend more time on the job than a settled pastor will.
There are several items in the posted discription that are turnoff as far as I am concerned. Being a Southern Baptist church I would hope they have a DOM who could help.

I could understand this point if it were a full time Intentional Transitional Interim Pastor position that was being sought, which is what this church sought once before but ultimately decided against. And a DOM’s help is being utilized.

Wade

It's a bird, it's a plane, NO it's SUPER-PASTOR. That is who they are looking skywardly, heavenly for. They need someone to "Walk the Line".

Golden Spur candidate here?

Rick

Just "dang! this is an interim position?!?"

‘Nuf said?

Norm

John, why is the position an interim position?

Less than a month after resignation of pastor good enough reason?
Plus – Search committee not formed yet? This is action of a church counsel.
John

Re: Interim Pastor Description

Postby jerryl » Wed May 03, 2006 12:33 pm

My issues are mainly organizational:

John wrote:7. Serve as chairman of the Church Council to lead in planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, and evaluating the total church program.

Might it not be better to have church member (chair of Deacons, etc.) chair, and have Interim a member.

9. Act as moderator of church business meetings in accordance with Robert’s Rules of Order.

If moderation is done poorly with bias, it gives Interim too much power. If moderation done well, it silences a voice that is not a permanent part of the congregation that could be a valuable voice during a time of transition. I wouldn't want a permanent pastor as moderator, either.

10. Cooperate with associational, state, and denominational leaders in matters of mutual interest and concern, while keeping the church informed of denominational development and represent the church in civic matters.

Might keep the 'civic matters' for a lay leader, who knows the church better. I would give 'civic matters' to a perm. pastor.

One church I was a member of had a specific policy that an interim was not to speak publicly on behalf of the church, that was left to the moderator/president of the congregation.

11. Serve as chief administrator of the paid church staff; supervise the work of assigned paid staff workers and recommend needs for staff including hiring, discipline and salaries.

I'd remove revise or rephrase, this seems ambiguous. I would not have a interim in position to discipline or set the salary of church staff. Leave this for a lay leader who will consult with the interim on staff discissions. My understanding is that in HR terms 'discipline' can include termination. You really want an interim to (or even think he can) fire the church secretary?

12. Have a vision for Whatever Baptist Church.

I don't see interim in the 'vision' business, but in the sustaining and transition business. I would want the interim to help the congregation build, refine, and communicate its vision, though.

1. The Pastor is responsible to commit significant time to
renewal, reading and research for personal and organizational
health. This includes scheduling time for renewal, study, long-
range planning and prayer.

Great in perm. pastor's job desc., but 'long range planning' for interim? He's not going to be there for the long term and will probably have his hands full dealing with transitional issues.

2. The Pastor may attend educational and professional
conferences that enable him to better perform his
responsibilities.

Again, great for perm, but I generally see intrtim's in a position where a) they are rather seasoned in the first place, b) they have or had free time before this position to pursue continuing education. I would want the interim to attend associational/state/denominational meetings relevant to the current situation of the church.

Anything about the interim not and never being a candidate for the perm position?

I would add something about the interim helping the church with it's vision for the future and something about being good at conflict resolution. (Conflict is something that should be expected during transitions.)

jerryl
jerryl

Postby Dave Roberts » Wed May 03, 2006 1:05 pm

The more I looked at that description, theological and denominational issues notwithstanding, the more I realize that whoever wrote that has no idea about an interim. The requirements would take at least 60 hours per week unless they are just paper items that really have no meaning at all. I assume the mention above that this came from the church "counsel" did not meal they had employed legal counsel to do this but rather that it came from the church "council." On second thought, it does sound like they had legal cousel to write something like that.

I also wondered about the counseling area. I guess confrontation of sin is out unless you just read someone a Bible passage.
"God will never be less than He is and does not need to be more" (John Koessler)

My blog: http://emporiadave.wordpress.com/
Dave Roberts
Site Admin

Postby William Thornton » Wed May 03, 2006 1:07 pm

There are plenty of resources for interim pastors, and churches who seek to utilize such. Is the goal that the individual sought is a transitional "pastor" with specialized responsibilities to ease the transition of the next permanent pastor. Spell it out.

Sounds to me like this church ought to use supply preachers while they allow time to contact someone (DOM, Pastor-Church state resource person) who can provide some counsel and advice.

See...how easy problems are solved from such distances :wink:
William Thornton
Site Admin

Postby Ed Pettibone » Wed May 03, 2006 1:59 pm

William wrote:There are plenty of resources for interim pastors, and churches who seek to utilize such. Is the goal that the individual sought is a transitional "pastor" with specialized responsibilities to ease the transition of the next permanent pastor. Spell it out.

Sounds to me like this church ought to use supply preachers while they allow time to contact someone (DOM, Pastor-Church state resource person) who can provide some counsel and advice.

See...how easy problems are solved from such distances :wink:

Ed: But the first step in resolving a problem is to reconize that a problem is at hand. This church seems not to be there.
Ed Pettibone

Postby Norm » Wed May 03, 2006 2:35 pm

Norm: John, why is the position an interim position?

John: Less than a month after resignation of pastor good enough reason?

Sorry I asked.
Norm

Postby John » Wed May 03, 2006 2:38 pm

:wink: :wink: :wink:
John

Postby Haruo » Wed May 03, 2006 2:49 pm

John wrote:
William wrote:What's going on with: "5. Conduct spiritual and scriptural counseling sessions as necessary under proper circumstances that does not allow an
other than spiritual and scriptural may be given." ?

That’s another good question See below

Golden Spur candidate here?
Haruo wrote:Amen!

Less than a month after resignation of pastor good enough reason?

Counsel or council? The church counsel is their lawyer. (And let's hope he only practices Levitical law and the law of Love, since that's what he's asking of the Interim (see above).

Haruo
Haruo (呂須•春男) = ᎭᎷᎣ = Leland Bryant Ross
Repeal the language taxLearn and use Esperanto
Fremont Baptist ChurchMy hymnblog
Haruo
Site Admin

Postby John » Wed May 03, 2006 3:01 pm

Sorry for my Pettibone style spelling :D

The position description came from the church counsil - as in the committe made up of the heads of the major functional areas and committies of the church. The church voted to task them as an "Interim committee" to start the transition process.

"Interim committee" - in that it is a committee that conducts the business of the church "in the interim" between the last pastor resigning and until such time a search committee could be formed and/or an Interim could be called.
John

Postby jerryl » Wed May 03, 2006 5:01 pm

John wrote:Sorry for my Pettibone style spelling :D

"Interim committee" - in that it is a committee that conducts the business of the church "in the interim" between the last pastor resigning and until such time a search committee could be formed and/or an Interim could be called.

You mean that when there is a pastor, the pastor conducts the business of the church? (Not the way we do it where I come from.) :?
jerryl

Next

Return to Baptist Faith & Practice Forum